Balance of Payments Developments in Türkiye- January 2023
- In January, current account recorded deficit of USD 9,849 million. Gold and energy excluded current account indicated net surplus of USD 2,602 million.
- Goods deficit recorded USD 12,431 million.
- Services recorded a net surplus of USD 3,164 million. Under services, travel item recorded a net inflow of USD 2,454 million.
- The outflows from primary income recorded USD 381 million and from secondary income indicated USD 201 million.
- Direct investment recorded net inflow of USD 223 million.
- Portfolio investment recorded a net inflow of USD 490 million. As regards to sub-items in liabilities, non-residents’ transactions on equity securities recorded net sales of USD 486 million, while government domestic debt securities recorded net purchases of USD 22 million.
- Regarding the bond issues in international capital markets, General Government realized net borrowing of USD 2,750 million, while banks and other sectors realized net repayments of USD 690 million and USD 469 million, respectively.
- Under other investment, Turkish banks’ currency and deposits within their foreign correspondent bank accounts increased by USD 4,058 million.
- Non-resident banks’ deposit accounts held within domestic banks increased by USD 1,635 million, with a decrease of USD 2 million in foreign currency and an increase of USD 1,637 million in Turkish lira accounts.
- Regarding the loans provided from abroad, General Government and banks realized net repayments of USD 103 million and USD 947 million respectively, while other sectors realized net borrowing of USD 548 million.
- Official reserves decreased by USD 9,341 million.
Source: Central Bank of the Republic of Türkiye
Legal Notice: The information in this article is intended for information purposes only. It is not intended for professional information purposes specific to a person or an institution. Every institution has different requirements because of its own circumstances even though they bear a resemblance to each other. Consequently, it is your interest to consult on an expert before taking a decision based on information stated in this article and putting into practice. Neither MuhasebeNews nor related person or institutions are not responsible for any damages or losses that might occur in consequence of the use of the information in this article by private or formal, real or legal person and institutions.